I believe I may have been living under a rock for the last ten years as I have never taken the time to try any E.L.F cosmetics.
I had recently been browsing their website and thought to myself I may as well try some of this stuff out, so I ordered a bundle of different things to try out.
1. E.L.F Brush Shampoo (£4.50) – A clear shampoo to be used with water to clean all your make up brushes.
For me this did some of the job, on fan brushes and brushes used for lighter products this worked a gem and cleaned them right up, but for eyeshadow brushes and blush or anything where you have used stronger colours it did not remove all the discolouration.
It has a neutral smell with no chemicals and is very gentle to the brush itself leaving it with a soft fluffy texture.
2. E.L.F Flawless Finish Foundation in Light Ivory (£7.50) – It is really surprising the range of foundation colours E.L.F has to offer for a high street brand. Normally I use a whitener to lighten my foundations but the Light Ivory was the perfect shade.
This formula is light and you really feel like you aren’t wearing anything at all. It blends smoothly and takes other products well.
Coverage is subtle, it’s a foundation I’d use for day to day wear when I don’t need something so full on. This would feel great when your on a good skin day as it enhances your skin more then covers the cracks. It has SPF 15 which is an added bonus when it’s such a high street price.
Recommendation wise, if you have good skin and want to show it off and if your not so into the full coverage look, this is definitely something to try out.
3. E.L.F Baked Highlighter in Moonlight Pearls (£5.00) – One thing I love in life is a bright ass highlight! As much as I wanted to love this (the colour in the pan looks so shiny) I just don’t.
The colour pay off is just not there and it is way too subtle for me, you can build the powder up to gain a stronger effect but this takes time and effort.
On the plus it has a really soft, creamy texture, blends well on the skin and creates little mess in the pan. Again like the foundation it is great for a subtle everyday look (I will be using mine as a body highlight).
4. E.L.F Hydrating Face Primer (£7.50) – This is by far my favourite thing of the bundle! A clear liquid primer that has a gel like texture and feels extremely moisturising in a non greasy/oily way.
Considering this gives a matte finish it feels almost sticky on the skin (not Winnie the Pooh stuck in his honey jar sticky but tacky). I felt it gave a plump to my skin and made it feel super smooth.
Due to the texture it left on my skin once I added foundation it stayed in place all day. DID NOT MOVE!
For the price tag this is a great product that I will probably choose over my M.A.C primer and begin to use daily with or without make up.
5. E.L.F Lip Primer & Plumper (£4.50) – So this comes as a lip duo with one end of the stick being the primer and the other being the plumper and it is strange to say the least.
The primer is written on the box as a natural colour so I was assuming a light beige but no it is yellow. Yes LaLa Teletubbies yellow!
Despite the colour it isn’t bad and prepped my lips lovely before lip liner and lipstick. It helped create an even finish and prevented bleeding. I do advise exfoliating the lips before hand as if the skin is dry the primer will crack when applied, but I did like the effects of the primer side.
Here we get to the plumper side and I am about to sound like I need committing as it is really not going to make sense. As stated in the box the plumper is actually clear so we started well.
The smell is so strong “the husband” refused to come near me with it on. I think it’s aniseed smelling but I’m not sure. And despite my husbands repulsion, I love the smell (I think it’s a bit marmite for people love/hate).
Application became even more strange when I was expecting the product to tingle as with many other plumpers. No this thing feels like a wasps nest is living on your lips. It stings and don’t really feel there was much plumping going on but (and this may suggest something about my psyche) I love it but not for the faint hearted.
As I stated before I must have been living under a rock to have not tried E.L.F cosmetics before. They are great value for money and very fun to try. I have found some staple products and can’t wait to try more.
Let me know what you think in the comments or on twitter @KateL564.